In The News
There always seems to be something going on at Inn Serendipity. Locally-known by some as that "interesting couple on County P," we can only reply that its the energy of the land and the sense of place that so inspires us along with the steady stream of guests and visitors, whether they join us for a weekend escape, a home tour, garden tour or one of our workshops on the farm.
Below are a few of the articles that have been written about what we're striving toward here at Inn Serendipity. We are thankful to the writers and publications for giving coverage to some of the many ideas and projects going on, so that others might share in our experiences.
Please visit the calendar of events for information about the many workshops or our other speaking engagements.
MSNBC, March 14, 2006
Natural Home magazine's Top 10 Eco-Destinations in North America, Jan/Feb, 2005
Try some of our recipes (many now featured in our Edible Earth cookbook):
Conde Nast Traveler
Yoga Journal, Sept/Oct 2005, Green Acres: Help renew the environment on your next vacation
Inn Serendipity is featured in the following guidebook or resources:
- Fodor's Green Travel: The World's Best Eco-Lodges and Earth-Friendly Hotels
- Eco Hotels of the World, by Alex Conti
- Green Travel Guide to Southern Wisconsin: Environmentally & Socially Responsible Travel, by Pat Dillon & Lynne Diebel
- Build a Green Business, by Scott Cooney
- 2009 LLewellyn's Green Living Guide
- Renewing the Countryside: WISCONSIN
- The New Agritourism: Hosting Community and Tourists on your Farm, by Barbara Berst Adams
- Bed and Breakfast Inns of America
Hobby Farms On-line/Hobby Farm Home, "Savor Summer Abundance", Summer, 2007
New York Times January 22, 2006
Hobby Farms On-line, "Building a Strawbale Greenhouse", Summer, 2007
Mother Earth News, June/July, 2004 feature article on the "rural renaissance" at Inn Serendipity.
Country Woman, July/August, 2006
Green Light Magazine's "Ultimate Green Getaway", June 29, 2006
USA Today, August 11, 2006
Home Power magazine, August, 2004Inn Serendipity: Sustainability as the Bottom Line (requires Adobe PDF Reader for viewing)
A story for the non profit organization Renewing the Countryside and book, Renewing the Countryside: Wisconsin book.
Solar Today, May/June, 2005 (requires Adobe PDF Reader for viewing)
Read the Environmental News Network (ENN) Online feature about Inn Serendipity.
Featured as "real life doers" by Stonyfield Farms, makers of delicious organic yogurt.
Stateline Shopping News
Northwestern Alumni Magazine feature on Lisa Kivirist
E--The Environmental Magazine May/June 2004 Going Green on "Sustainable Scotland", written and photographed by John Ivanko. Also picked up by The New York Times Syndicate.
American Profile feature on the Monroe, WI area, known as the Swiss Cheese Capital of Wisconsin.
E--The Environmental Magazine feature on ecotourism, written by John Ivanko.
The Wisconsin Journey Elementary School Grade 4 textbook featuring the cover photo (of Green County taken from a hot air balloon) and interior photos by John Ivanko.
Michigan Today feature on bluebirds, written by John Ivanko.
Islands Magazine article on the Interpretive Center at the Standing Stones of Calanais in Scotland, written by John Ivanko.
Inn Serendipity or Inn Serendipity Woods cabin has also been featured in the following media or websites:
- Newsweek, "Sell In, Bliss Out," December, 1997
- Included in Discover Wisconsin's segment " Wilkommening You to Monroe"airing on Madison's TV Channel 27, Rockford's TV Channel 23, and broadcast to 25 other major television markets reaching over a million viewers, January, 2003.
- The Capital Times (Madison) and picked up by AP wires, "Winds of change: Eco-friendly solutions make a difference," April, 2003
- Wisconsin State Farmer, "Renewable energy reduces expenses, bolsters profits at Inn Serendipity," August 16, 2002
- The Country Today, "Bed and breakfast 'bioneers:' Biological pioneers' country inn focuses on sustainable living, land stewardship, conservation," November 20, 2002
- ReNews (newsletter of MREA), "Bed and Breakfast Gathers Solar Energy and Visitor Interest," Summer, 2002
- Conscious Choice (Chicago), "Support a Sustainable Inn," April, 2002 (also December, 1997)
- In Business, "An Inn With a 5 Star Eco Rating," Summer, 2001
- The Capital Times (Madison), "Drop-outs Drop in at B&B," December, 1997
- Co-op America's National Green Pages, as "15 Green Businesses Every Community Needs," Summer 1999
- Outpost Exchange (Outpost Natural Foods, Milwaukee), "Green Getaways: Eco-friendly lodging alternatives," July 1999
- Wisconsin Public Radio, The Larry Meiller Show, about the 480-Watt photovoltaic (PV) system (2002) and separately, about the straw bale greenhouse (2001).
- Wisconsin Trails Magazine, "Inn-vironmental: Luxury with a Green Touch at Two Wisconsin B&Bs," Sept/Oct 1998
- Wisconsin Public Radio, Conversations with Jean Feraca, about the Cooperative Enterprise Program with Michael Fields Agricultural Institute (2000); about living sustainably (1999), and All About Food (Feraca), about gifts from your kitchen (1999).
- National Public Radio, Science Friday with Ira Flatow, live from the Midwest Renewable Energy and Sustainable Living Fair
- Vegetarian Vacations, a vegetarian travel resource website.
- The Monroe Times (about numerous topics)